Cricday

I never played competitive cricket. But who cares? I write about it.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

A dream, a past, a confusion!

I like to believe that I am immune to the Tendulkar fandom. My reason for it is stupid, it's simply because everyone else is a devotee. It's weird, I regularly fail to like movies that have gone on to become big hits, often preferring an obscure film that I discovered somewhere on youtube. The point is that the feelings of exclusivity and elitism are essential. But yesterday was a little different.

I went to bed at midnight, just as WI subsided close to tea. I woke up sometime to check the score. I remember the last update of India being 113 for 2 with SRT on 14 not out. I decided not to watch, just to make sure I don't jinx it. I haven't believed in the j-word since about 1996 (Gosh, 1996, he was an established batsman even then, teenage was barely in for me :)). I remember waking up a couple more times. And these 2 times I didn't even check the score to avoid the jinx. Then I heard Ravi Shastri and the whole crowd go berserk, as Tendulkar was walking back after being out on 88 off 82 balls, a blinder of a test innings that hasn't been in a long long time. While I was hearing this applause, I seriously doubted whether it was reality or just my subconscious. And when I finally woke up, I had the recollection of that 14 not out, waking up 2 times and a rampant Ravi Shastri responding to that 88 off 82 balls, utterly confused as to which one actually happened.

Immunity can only be retained for so long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home